Yesterday morning at NewSpring, Perry opened up with asking us to pray a simple prayer, "Lord, speak to my heart this morning". Perry went on to speak about how, as believers we are to always be maturing in Christ, we are to intentionally be pursuing Christ.
Below are some of my personal notes (in italics), along with the sermon outline (in bold):
A growing relationship with Jesus is intentional, not accidental!- Mark 12:30 - "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all you mind and with all your strength." To love God with all of your strength - when this feels like a struggle, ask God to manifest His strength through you.
- Many times we pray so that we about something so that we don't feel the need to obey.
Two Myths that Can Keep Us Stuck:
Myth #1: I'm great right now!
- 1 Corinthians 10:31 - "So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God."
Myth #2: God will never ask me to do anything difficult.
- Luke 9:23 - God calls us to take up our cross daily and to follow Him.
- Acts 22:16 - "And now what are you waiting for? Get up, be baptized and wash your sins away, calling on his name."
- James 5:16 - "Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for eachother so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective."
- 2 Corinthians 6:2 - "For he says, 'In the time of my favor I heard you, and in the day of salvation I helped you.'"
There is always another step closer to God. The reason God asks us to take, what may seem as uncomfortable or difficult "next steps", is so that He can point out and cut out the toxic areas of our lives that will harm us otherwise. Exodus 8:8-10 Pharaoh didn't handle the problem when he should have, his heart became hardened. Often we look to God and ask for what's next when we don't want to take the "next step" that He has already laid before us.
Although the Lord may ask for us to take an uncomfortable next step, it is always for His Glory, which is our constant encouragement and security. Our Lord is sovereign, constantly loving and forgiving each of us. What an encouragement knowing that our Lord, the Creator of the universe has laid out a path before each of His children, loving and protecting them each along the way.
God is always God. God is always good. To God be the glory.